Back to the kitchen. I was recently sent a coupon to try some free products from Gardein. They offer convenient, real-food protein options, with everything from chicken fingers, to black bean burgers, to breakfast sliders. They have lean meats, meatless options, and they are all frozen and easy to prepare. They recently launched a few gluten free items as well, so I decided to test out the beefless ground. We don't typically go for vegetarian meat options but I thought this would be a good chance to try it! We picked up a few bags of this before baby arrived, because I knew it would help make a quick and easy meal once she was here! The "meat" comes like cooked ground beef, frozen and ready to heat. The protein is all soy based.
The other night we tested it out by making these protein-packed peppers. They only take 5 ingredients (plus garnish) and are so spectacularly easy! To be honest, they were so easy that I actually coached my hubby and my 16 year old sister through the process while I fed the little miss. So thanks to them...here is the recipe and even a few pictures!
Protein-Packed Peppers: Only 5 Ingredients!
2. QUINOA - Cook 1 cup of quinoa with 2 cups of water until fluffy. (Follow quinoa directions on package)
4. BEANS - Open a can of low-sodium black beans. Rinse them and add them to the meat.
5. SALSA - Add about 1 cup of salsa of your choice to the meat and beans.
When the quinoa is cooked, add that to the mixture as well. Stir everything until well combined and heated through, and then scoop into the peppers. There will probably be extra filling, we each ate some on the side!
Once the stuffed peppers are complete, you can top with your choice of garnishes...we chose green onions, cilantro and guacamole. My entire family loved these peppers, and the Meatless Ground from Gardein was a hit too! It was flavorful and nobody even noticed that it wasn't real meat!
1 cup uncooked quinoa + 2 cups water for cooking
1 package Gardein "Meatless Ground"
1 can low-sodium black beans
1/2 cup salsa of choice
Garnish options: dairy or non-dairy cheese, guacamole, green onions, cilantro, hot sauce, salsa, jalepenos...whatever your heart desires!
Recipe serves 8
Carbs: 33 grams
Protein: 19 grams
Fat: 6 grams
Fiber: 9 grams
Sugars: 5 grams
Even without the meat - these peppers pack on the protein and fiber, and they are sure to keep you satisfied for a long time!
how about you?
- Do you make some of your meals "meatless" during the week?
- Would you like to try a Gardein product? Go check out their website here and then come back and comment with what product you would like to try and what you would cook with it! One random commentor will be selected on Thursday, July 31st and sent a coupon for a free product of choice. Winner will be announced in this post.