When we started the planning process for our #iamSTRONGlikeMOMVirtualRun, we knew we wanted to give back in some way through our running. We were introduced to Soles4Souls and it was the perfect match for us! I personally love that this organization is very focused on a micro-enterprise system that primarily serves MOMS! As we are logging miles in our running shoes, Soles4Souls is using the distribution of shoes to provide relief and create sustainable jobs all around the world!
How Soles4Souls Helps:
SHORT TERM RELIEF
- Disaster Relief: Soles4Souls acts as second wave responders, providing footwear and clothing to those In need during times of disaster.
- Free Shoe Distribution: Soles4Souls works with more than 1,200 non-profit partners on the ground domestically and internationally to distribute new shoes, donated by retailers and manufacturers, to men, women and children in need. New shoes protect people from disease, allow children to be educated and are a path to social activity and employment.
LONG TERM SOLUTIONS
- Micro-enterprise: Soles4Souls provides entrepreneurs (oftentimes mothers!) the ability to start and sustain small businesses by providing a steady supply of high-quality, low-cost product; a powerful and sustainable way for people to lift themselves and their families out of poverty.
- Environmental Sustainability: Americans throw away more than 70 pounds of textiles per person per year. The EPA estimates only 15% is donated or recycled. You can help keep shoes out of landfills and support entrepreneurs in places like Haiti and Honduras.
- Health: In many developing nations, walking is the primary mode of transportation. Every day millions are exposed to unsanitary conditions that lead to harmful diseases. The opportunity to wear shoes not only reduces risk of sickness and death, but also provides kids a better chance to receive an education.
How YOU can help Soles4Souls:
- Register for the virtual run! A pair of shoes will be donated for EVERY registration!
- Donate gently used shoes! Soles4Souls offers several free and easy ways to donate your shoes. Drop off at a local DSW, ship free through Zappos and more! Enter your zipcode here to find the best way for you!
- Make EVERY mile count by downloading the free Charity Miles app. Every bit of movement counts and turns into dollars for your favorite charity. Soles4Souls is one of over 40 choices to exercise for!
- If you're running locally with me - I'm collecting shoes personally to donate. Please bring them to our fun run or drop them by my house if you'd like to participate!